Co-Authors Spreading the Word
Over the past several months, the Spreadable Media team has remained active in further developing, challenging, and…spreading…their work surrounding the book. Check out some of their recent speaking appearances here:
- Co-author Sam Ford joined Spreadable Media project contributors Xiaochang Li, Abigail De Kosnik, Ted Hovet, and Sharon Marie Ross in March 2014 for a workshop discussion entitled “Rethinking Networked Culture, Media Audiences, and Media Content through Spreadable Media,” at the annual conference of the Society for Cinema and Media Studies. The discussion was largely a follow-up to the recent Cinema Journal roundtable about the Spreadable Media book.
- Co-author Sam Ford spoke about Spreadable Media’s concepts and structure as a project itself as part of The Essay in Public a one-day symposium on “how to better bring longform and dense content to general audiences,” at Brown University in April 2014.
- In his Spring 2014 MIT Communications Forum, co-author Henry Jenkins spoke on a range of issues, including Spreadable Media’s exploration of the tension between the market logic of the media industries and the non-market logic governing the actions of active audiences.
- The 2014 Innovation Cities Tour, from Innovation Excellence, cites Spreadable Media as an inspiration. Also, co-author Sam Ford spoke as part of the tour’s Boston event at the IBM Innovation Center.
- In his May 2014 talk as part of the University of California-Davis’ Chancellor’s Colloquium Distinguished Speaker Series, co-author Henry Jenkins spoke on “Democracy and Diversity in the Era of Spreadable Media.”
- Ford participated in the Southern Kentucky Book Festival this April in Bowling Green, KY, where he spoke as part of a panel of Western Kentucky University-related authors about their various book projects.